Originally from the region of Charlevoix, he lived in the Acadia for a while before settling in the Outaouais.
He has been painting for more than thirty years.
He also teaches painting and creativity courses.
After a rather conventional start through the study of Design and Fine Arts, Jacques Desgagnés chose watercolor and oil painting as the medium of his creativity.
Then he started experimenting, exploring and creating thereby evolving from the figurative to the abstract style.
Today, his work expresses, above all, energy and emotions. It reflects the artist's state of mind and its evolution.
Over the years he has received numerous awards and distinctions including:
- 1987 Silver Medal: le Cercle des artistes-peintres du Québec
- 1991 Jury's Grand Prize: Conseil des Arts d'Aylmer
- 1993 First prize: Conseil des Arts d'Aylmer
- 1994 Grand Prize (all categories): Gala international des arts visuels, held at Place des Arts in Montreal
- 1995 Silver Medal: Cercle des Artistes Peintres et Sculpteurs du Québec
- 1996 Representative of Québec at l'exposition internationale d'Antwerps in Belgium
- 2007 Highest bidding obtained in an auction of FAVA (Festival des arts visuels en Atlantique)
- 2007 His canvas, "The Winged Horse", illustrated "The Quantum Leap Celebration" in Taos, New-Mexico. September 2007
- 2008 Exhibition, at the Public Library of San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. March 2008
- 2008 His canvas, "Force de l'espérance" illustrated the annual congress of the International Federation of Hard of Hearing People (IFHOH), in Vancouver, BC. July 2008
- 2008 Exhibition, at the UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL AUTONOMA DE MEXICO, Gatineau, Canada. September 2008
- 2009 His canvas, "Ensemble", illustrated the 2009 International Congress of the Club Richelieu International, held in Gatineau, Québec. October 2009
- 2006-2009 Listed in the directory of Magazinart
- 2010 Solo exhibit, Espace René-Provost, Gatineau (November - December 2010)
- 2011 Member of l'Académie Internationale des Beaux-Arts de Québec
- 2011 Solo exhibit, Moca Loca, Aylmer (June - July - August 2011)
- 2011 Solo exhibit, Cercle des Artistes Peintres et sculpteurs du Québec (CAPSQ), Montréal, October 2011.
- 2012 Exhibition at the Agora Gallery, New-York (January, February 2012)